The Advanced Light Source Users’ Executive Committee (UEC) invites nominations for its upcoming election for three new UEC members (2021-2023 term). Nominations will be accepted through Wednesday, October 28, 2020. Membership in the ALS UEC shall be open to those users, including students, who are interested in research at the ALS. Self nominations are allowed.
The UEC is seeking nominations for:
- 2 new members to serve a three-year term (2021-2023)
- 1 new student member to serve a two-year term (2021-2022)
The nomination form is here.
What does the UEC do?
The UEC works closely with ALS management to represent and serve the needs of thousands of users at the ALS. Here are a few highlights of the UEC’s recent accomplishments:
- Revamped the User Meeting to a virtual format while maintaining strong interactions among the user community and ALS staff, engaging the next generation of student and young scientist users.
- Organized a panel during the User Meeting focused on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.
- Advise the ALS Management on strategies for remote user operations due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented users in Congressional visits to educate members and staff about the value of scientific user facilities.
- Organized joint advocacy efforts to support federal funding of DOE light sources.
- Discussed mechanisms to enhance user productivity, such as joint proposals and access to Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry.
- Communicated opportunities and impacts associated with the ALS Upgrade project (ALS-U), and engaged the user community throughout the planning process.
- Addressed issues raised by users, such as site access.